Alex Theatre launches Alex Picture Show series with Hocus-Focus Film Festival
The venerable Alex Theatre in Glendale, once a reliable presenter of cool special screenings and film festivals before turning toward live events, is getting back to what it does best, launching its new series, The Alex Picture Show, with a weekend-long Hocus Pocus Film Festival. A series of classic and cult horror films including Donnie Darko, Hellboy, The Sixth Sense, The Shining, Beetlejuice, The Omen and A Nightmare on Elm Street – will be paired short subjects from aspiring local filmmakers. Series curators Bud Coffey, Tina Salmassi and Miles Williams will select finalists from submissions by student filmmakers from the greater Los Angeles area.
The schedule is listed below:
- Friday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. and 10 pm: Donnie Darko (2001).
- Saturday, Oct. 29 at 1 pm: Hellboy (2004).
- Saturday, Oct. 29 at 4 pm: The Sixth Sense (1999).
- Saturday, Oct. 29 at 7 pm: The Shining (1980).
- Sunday, Oct. 30 at 1 pm: Beetlejuice (1988).
- Sunday, Oct. 30 at 4 pm: The Omen (1976).
- Sunday, Oct. 30 at 7 pm: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).
All screenings take place at the Alex Theatre. The address is 216 North Brand Boulevard in
Glendale, Tickets are $19 for adults and $14 for children (12 and under) and seniors (60+). For more information, call (818) 254-8456 or visit thealexpictureshow.com.
Note: Despite its title, the Hocus-Focus film festival includes neither Hocus Pocus (1993) nor its recent sequel.