Location: Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Link out: Click here
Date: Octobr 1 at 8pm
Description: The Cinefamily’s 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Festival launches with a double bill of films based on novels by Stephen King.
Christine – 8:00pm
Christine is criminally underrated in both the oeuvres of Stephen King and John Carpenter. When it was released in 1983 little fanfare was given to the film’s masterful suspense, ingenius effects, great score and the riveting central performance of Keith Gordon. But with the passage of time Christine has aged like a fine wine. It’s the definitive capper of Carpenter’s early and best horror phase; all of the hallmarks are there — the rigorous camera perspective, the anamorphic lens flare, the sonic synth stings. Similarly, many of King’s best early career tendencies are there in the story — the creeping, undefinable evil, the relatable characters and situations, and the usage of innocuous ‘50s rock to create a feeling of dread and unease. If you haven’t seen it since ’83 or missed it alltogether, now’s your chance to re-evaluate this custom classic. Just don’t spill any soda on the upholstery. Extras: Sony has restored and struck a brand new 35mm print, and star Keith Gordon will be there in person for a Q&A!
Dir. John Carpenter, 1983, 35mm, 110 min.
Carrie – 10:00pm
The ultimate high school horror film, Brian De Palma’s adaptation of Stephen King’s first novel Carrie proved to be a rare perfect blend of story and artistic vision. De Palma really pulls off a balancing act here, deftly juggling comedy, melodrama and horrific hysteria, making it seem effortless all the while. He’s at the top of his camera spinning, split-screen lovin’ game here — the climactic pig-blood prom freakout will forever remain an iconic moment in the pantheon of horror. The cast is also stellar, led by young, hot Sissy Spacek, batshit crazy Piper Laurie, and rounded out by strong turns from Nancy Allen, Amy Irving, Betty Buckley and a pre-fame John Travolta. If you’ve never seen this masterpiece on the big screen, now’s your chance. If you miss it — they’re all going to laugh at you!
Dir. Brian De Palma, 1976, 35mm, 98 min.
More in this series:
- Carrie & Christine
- 13 Ghosts
- Dollar Babies Mini-Film Fest
- Pet Sematary I & II with Mary Lambert in person
- Cinefamily's 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Film Fest
- Cartoon Monster Mash!
- Dario Argento Double Bill
- Mutant Girls Squad & Alien vs. Ninja
- Pajama Party II: Bitch-Craft
- American Psycho with in-person guests
- Herschell Gordon Lewis Tribute
- Umberto Lenzi Triple Bill
- House of the Devil & Dead/Alive, with Ti West in person
- Straight-Jacket & Homicidal
- Chester Turner Tribute
- A Night to Dismember & Don't Panic
- Demon Lover Diary
- Giallo Sneak Preview Triple Bill
- Cinefamily's 100 Most Outrageous Kills!
- Cinefamily Heavy Metal Halloween Party & Fundraiser
- Mistress of Horror: Katt Shea
- The Blob (1988)
- Ken Russell Double Bill of Terror
- Sergio Martino Double Feature
- William Castle Shockers with Terry Castle in person