Count Dracula is not the only vampire haunting the stage in the Los Angeles area. If you're looking for something more modern than the old Hamilton Dean-John Balderstone play (currently wrapping up its final weekend at the NoHo Arts Center), you might be interested in this world premiere of a new play by Laura Schellhardt, directed by Jessica Kubzansky, which has been getting good reviews since it wrapped up a week of previews and began its regular run on May 9.
From the official website:
In this deeply moving allegory that straddles graveyard and courtroom, Nina, a vitally alive, headstrong young woman falls victim to a fatal blood disease, and her protective older sister, Rill, vows revenge on the vampire who infected her. With righteousness and impassioned love Rill puts him on trial for his life. But does anything – even justice – avenge death?
Several special events will take place throughout the play's run on stage:
- Late Nite Salon @ The Court: May 15, 22, 29 and June 5 - post show. Want somewhere to go after you see the show? Stay and talk about the play over a complimentary glass of wine with some of the show’s creative people.
- Illuminations: The Undead Metaphor" on Thursday, May 21, after the 8pm show. A dialogue using the theatrical performance as a catalyst for discussion. "The vampires in film and literature today are nearly unrecognizable from those of the 18th and 19th centuries. Yet some traits have remained unchanged regardless the era. How has the evolution of vampires paralleled the evolution of popular culture?
- Talkback: May 24, post show - With members of the cast of "Courting Vampires."
- LiveWired: May 28, pre- and post-show - A social event for young urbanites featuring new music, refreshments, coffee, goodies, a swag bag give away.
- Illuminations: "Truth on Trial," on Sunday, May 31, after the 2pm show. A dialogue using the theatrical performance as a catalyst for discussion. How the justice system bends the truth in an effort to discover it. Experts on in the field of law will be on hand to discuss the nature of legal proceedings and what truths get left behind in the process.
Hurry some performances have already sold out.
Location: Boston Court Theatre - 70 North Mentor Avenue, Pasadena, CA
Theatre Website: Click here
Ticket Prices: $32 regular admission, $27 for students and seniors.
Discount: Sunday, May 17 offers a special bargain matinee for $5. Doors open at 1:00pm; show starts at 2:00pm. No advance reservations. Cash or check only, no credit cards.
Dates: May 09 through June 07
Showtimes: 8:00pm on Monday Wednesday-Saturday; 2:00pm on Sunday (no show Tuesday).
Box Office Hours: noon to 6:00pm Tuesday through Saturday.
More in this series:
- Courting Vampires now at Boston Court Theatre in Pasadena
- The Undead Metaphor: with David J. Skal, Del Howison & Steve Biodrowski after Courting Vampires; plus Little Mermaid Reunion
- Stage Review: Courting Vampires - plus Undead Meataphor Discussion