Location: Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Link out: Click here
Dates: October 02 at 10pm & October 3 at 2pm
Description: After the breakout success of his first few novels, Stephen King did a radical and awesome thing. As King states in his foreward to the published screenplay of The Shawshank Redemption: "Around 1977 or so, when I started having some popular success, I saw a way to give back a little of the joy the movies had given me... I established a policy which still holds today. I will grant any student filmmaker the right to make a movie out of any short story I have written (not the novels, that would be ridiculous), so long as the film rights are still mine to assign. I ask them to sign a paper promising that no resulting film will be exhibited commercially without approval, and that they send me a videotape of the finished work. For this one-time right I ask a dollar. I have made the dollar-deal, as I call it, over my accountant's moans and head-clutching protests sixteen or seventeen times as of this writing  -- I'd look at the films -- then put them up on a shelf I had marked 'Dollar Babies.'"
The results have been dozens and dozens of adaptations, from the most charmingly amateurish of home movies to ambitious attempts by future big-name directors (Frank Darabont’s first Stephen King adaptation was a “Dollar Baby”). It’s a chance to see the the other version of Children of the Corn or The Lawnmower Man, and to see if you think the student filmmaker with a 16mm Bolex did it better than Hollywood!
Saturday's night of films will conclude with a 35mm screening of feature-length "dollar baby" Riding The Bullet (w/ director Mick Garris in person!) -- and other titles will be announced in upcoming days!
The shows are free, but Cinefamily would appreciate a $10 donation to their 501(c)3 charitable non-profit.
More in this series:
- Carrie & Christine
- 13 Ghosts
- Dollar Babies Mini-Film Fest
- Pet Sematary I & II with Mary Lambert in person
- Cinefamily's 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Film Fest
- Cartoon Monster Mash!
- Dario Argento Double Bill
- Mutant Girls Squad & Alien vs. Ninja
- Pajama Party II: Bitch-Craft
- American Psycho with in-person guests
- Herschell Gordon Lewis Tribute
- Umberto Lenzi Triple Bill
- House of the Devil & Dead/Alive, with Ti West in person
- Straight-Jacket & Homicidal
- Chester Turner Tribute
- A Night to Dismember & Don't Panic
- Demon Lover Diary
- Giallo Sneak Preview Triple Bill
- Cinefamily's 100 Most Outrageous Kills!
- Cinefamily Heavy Metal Halloween Party & Fundraiser
- Mistress of Horror: Katt Shea
- The Blob (1988)
- Ken Russell Double Bill of Terror
- Sergio Martino Double Feature
- William Castle Shockers with Terry Castle in person