As part of its Far Out Space Films series, the American Cinematheque presents a Steven Spielberg double bill of E.T. - THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. Both were huge box office successes, but neither one truly lives up to its reputation, particularly E..T., which is way to cloying and cute.
CLOSE ENOUNTERS offers some decent spectacle and great special effects (better than STAR WARS, which beat it out for the Oscar), but the human element is week, and the various "special editions" that followed the original theatrical release did not solve the problem. NOTE: On the alien mothership at the end, if you look closely, you can see R2-D2 upside down.
More in this series:
- Far Out Space Films coming to Aero Theatre
- E.T. & CE3K at Aero
- Battlestar Galactica Marathon at Aero
- Flash Gordon & Battle Beyond the Stars at Aero Theatre
- Forbidden Planet & Fantastic Planet at Aero
- Win tickets to see Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica
- Reminder: Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre This Week