The American Cinematheque launches its four-day series of “Far Out Space Films” with a double bill of FLASH GORDON and BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS.
FLASH GORDON is the campy 1980 feature film produced by Dino DeLaurentiis, which features some great production design, corny special effects, and a score by the rock group Queen. It’s not absolutely terrible, but it’s not nearly as much as it’s meant to be.
BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS is producer Roger Corman’s 1980 attempt to cash in on the success of the STAR WARS franchise by churning out a low-budget space opera. Although obviously made on the cheap, the film has a certain flair, thanks to a script by John Sayles (obviously modeled on SEVEN SAMURAI) and a cast that includes John Saxon, Sybil Danning, and George Peppard.
Location: Aero Theatre – 1328 Montana Avenue at 14th Street in Santa Monica
More Information: Click here
Dates: Thursday, June 18 at 7:30pm
More in this series:
- Far Out Space Films coming to Aero Theatre
- E.T. & CE3K at Aero
- Battlestar Galactica Marathon at Aero
- Flash Gordon & Battle Beyond the Stars at Aero Theatre
- Forbidden Planet & Fantastic Planet at Aero
- Win tickets to see Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica
- Reminder: Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre This Week