FORBIDDEN PLANET is the 1956 classic, loosely inspired by Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST, in which an Earth space ship lands on a planet where a previous mission crash-landed decades ago. They find a scientist and his beautiful daughter, with whom the Earth ship's captain (prefiguring STAR TREK by several years) falls in love. Unfortunately, a mysterious, invisible force stalks the world, killing the crewmen. Although a bit corny by modern standards, this is a great film, filled with spectacular special effects and a genuine sense of wonder.
FANTASTIC PLANET has more of a cult flavor to it, being a French animiated film about a strange race of beings on an alien world. Reportedly, money ran out before the film was finished, so the ending seems a bit abrupt. Nevertheless, the film is an interesting one, which should appeal to science fiction fans looking for something different.
More in this series:
- Far Out Space Films coming to Aero Theatre
- E.T. & CE3K at Aero
- Battlestar Galactica Marathon at Aero
- Flash Gordon & Battle Beyond the Stars at Aero Theatre
- Forbidden Planet & Fantastic Planet at Aero
- Win tickets to see Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica
- Reminder: Far Out Space Films at the Aero Theatre This Week