2023 Update: This year, the American Cinematheque introduces a new piece of Halloween-themed programming: International House of Horrors screens half a dozen foreign horror movies on select days from September 28 to October 31. See full schedule below. Additionally, American Cinematheque offers two more events on Halloween Night. The Innocents will screen at 7:30pm after a live recording of the Greg Proops Film Club podcast at Los Feliz. A double bill of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and House of Wax (1953) will screen at 7:30pm in the Aero Theatre at 7:30pm.
Horrorthon Date: October 28, 7pm – 7:30am.
Horrorthon Location: Aero Theatre at 1328 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica.
Horrorthon Titles: To Be Announced
Tickets: $25.00 (member) ; $30.00 (general admission)
In addition to its annual one-night Horrorthonm the American Cinematheque typically screens a variety of horror films throughout October.
Get more information at the American Cinematheque website.
Note: Since recovering from the 2020 pandemic, American Cinematheque has resumed screenings at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica and Los Feliz in Los Angeles but not the Egyptian in Hollywood, which is now owned by Netflix and is undergoing renovations.
Beyond Fest Dates:
For two weeks in September and October, American Cinematheque hosts the annual Beyond Fest, which includes horror and exploitation titles both new and old, including premiers and guest appearances.
1328 Montana Ave Santa Monica, CA 90403
LOS FELIZ THEATRE
1822 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles, CA 90027
REGENCY VILLAGE THEATRE
961 Broxton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024
International House of Horrors 2023 Schedule:
- September 28: A Praga, a one-hour 1980 film by Portuguese filmmaker José Mojica Marins (a.k.a. “Coffin Joe”). Also on the bill is “Mojica’sLast Curse,” a short documentary about restoring the film.
- October 19: Greg McLean’s killer crocodile film, Rogue (2007).
- October 24: Oscar-winner Bong Joon-ho’s The Host (2006).
- October 26: the Russian sci-fi film Sputnik
- October 29: 1931 Spanish-language version of Dracula (starts at 4pm).
- October 31: Oscar-winner Guillermo Del Toro’s debut film, Cronos.
Films start at 10pm unless otherwise noted. All screenings are at the Los Feliz Theatre.
American Cinematheque Articles
Information on The American Cinematheque’s screenings, including their Halloween programming, can be found at the links below.
Find more seasonal horror screenings at Halloween Cinema.