The Huntington Library, Art Collection & Botanical Gardens
1151 Oxford Road, San Marino 91108
2017 Date & Hours: Oct 28, starting at 6:30pm
Tickets: $45 for Huntington members, $55 for non-members
- Halloween Haunt Awards 2016: The Winners
- HHA 2016: Best Short Halloween Play/Performance
- HHA 2016: Best Halloween Play in Non-Theatrical Setting
- Halloween Review: Drama After Dark 2016
- Drama After Dark delivers
- Halloween Events for the Week of October 23-29, 2015
- Drama After Dark returning to Huntington Gardens this Halloween
- 2014 Halloween Haunt Awards: Winners
- 2014 Halloween Haunt Award Nominees: Best Play in a Non-Theatrical Setting
- 2014 Halloween Haunt Award Nominees: Best Short Play or Vignette
- Halloween 2014 Review: Drama After Dark at Night of the Living Zoo
About Drama After Dark: A Night of the Macabre with Poe and Gorey
Since 2003, Drama After Dark has been offering this series of half-hour vignettes, usually staged one night a year during the Halloween season, in the gardens and buildings around the Huntington Library. Readings and plays based on the work of Edgar Allan Poe and Edward Gorey are performed by the Guild of St. George. Titles include "The Pit and the Pendulum," The Tell-Tale Heart," and others.
During the course of the evening, audience members see up to six out of the ten or more performances, which play simultaneously at various sites throughout the upper levels of the grounds. Most of the performances are outdoors (chairs provided), requiring the audience to walk to various sites. To enhance the mood of the evening, many of the lights on the grounds are dimmed or turned off completely.
Drama After Dark's presentation utilizes costumes but minimal sets and props, relying on the environment of Huntington Garden to provide the atmosphere. The performances are more spoken word than dramatizations. In the case of "Gorey Stories," several actors give tag-team readings of Gorey's fiendishly funny poetry. The Poe adaptations are not truly adaptations at all but monologues delivering the author's texts verbatim, like confessionals delivered by guilty murders.
Drama After Dark is suggested for ages ten and up; no one under 18 without adult supervision.
The event typically sells out. In the past, tickets were sold only in advance, not at the door.