Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre
4850 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, California 91601
(818) 202-4120 – reservations
2016 Dates: October 7 through November 5, on Fridays and Saturdays; also on Monday, October 31
Hours: 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9:30pm, 10:30pm, 11:30pm; except Halloween Night – no 11:30pm show.
- HHA 2016: Best Halloween Stage Presentation/Play in Los Angeles
- Halloween Review: Urban Death Tour of Terror Haunted Theatre
- Urban Death Tour of Terror 2015 review
- Wicked Lit and Urban Death: Tour of Terror
- Urban Death: Tour of Terror photographs
- Urban Death: Tour of Terror returns for Halloween 2015
- 2014 Halloween Haunt Awards: Winners
- 2014 Halloween Haunt Award Nominees: Best Play in a Theatrical Setting
- The Day After Halloween 2014: Those Haunts That Remain
- Halloween 2014: Last-Minute Recommendations - Movies & Plays
- Halloween 2014: Haunted Plays, Scary Musicals & Other Terrifying Theatrical Events
Making its debut in 2013, this new Halloween attraction is is part walk-through maze, part performance art – including a fifteen-minute series of disturbing blackout vignettes. Urban Death: Tour of Terror features minimal production values (basically a black, empty stage) but, like a martial arts master, turns this weakness into strength by using performances, punctuated by light and shadow, to create stark, indelible images that sink into the brain. The result is fairly far removed from most Halloween haunts, and thrill-seekers expecting more high-adrenalin scares may be disappointed. But connoisseurs of terror should be delighted by the opportunity to savor this distinctive blend of shivers.
There is plenty of street parking at the location, but allow five minutes for seating. No food or drink allowed inside.
Read more in our Urban Death Haunted Theatre Review.