The Los Angeles Film Festival revs up this week, starting on June 19 and running through June 29. A combination of independent films and Hollywood blockbusters, the fest includes numerous science fiction, fantasy, and horror titles, such as JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH and HELLBOY 2: THE GOLDEN ARMY.
Events include conversations with director Guillermo del Toro (HELLBOY 2), cinematographer Guillermo Navarro (PAN’S LABYRINTH), and director Edgar Wright, who will celebrate the U.S. DVD debut of the British cult comedy SPACED by screening two complete episodes. Joel Hodgson (creator of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000) will present a live version of CINEMATIC TITANIC, his latest effort at skewering old movies. He and other MST-3K alumni will appear at the John Anson Ford Theatre to hurl comments at Roger Corman’s 1959 film THE WASP WOMAN. There will be anniversary screenings of THE LOST BOYS and PLANET OF THE APES. There is also a short series titled “Dark Wave,” which includes foreign horror films. Screenings and events will take place at various theatres around Los Angeles. Tickets for most events cost $12. The HELLBOY 2 premiere is a special event; tickets are $100. Screenings:
- CARGO 200 (Russian, 2007, Dark Wave). Monday, June 23 @ 9:30pm – The Landmark. Thursday, June 25 @ 10:00pm – AMC Avco Center
- CINEMATIC TITANIC (USA, 200 . Saturday, June 21 @ 8:30pm – John Anson Ford Amphitheatre.
- COFFEE: AESOP ROCK (USA, 2007, music video). Saturday, June 21 @ 7:00pm – Italian Cultural Institute. Friday, June 27 @ 7:15pm – The Landmark.
- FEAR(S) OF THE DARK (France, 2007, International Showcase). Friday, June 20 @ 4:30pm – The Landmark. Tuesday, June 24 @ 9:45pm – AMC Avco Center.
- HELLBOY 2: THE GOLDEN ARMY (USA, 2008, Galas). Saturday, June 28 @ 6:30pm – The Regent. $100.
- I LOVE SARAH JANE (Australia, 2007, Shorts Program 3). Sunday, June 22 @ 1:30pm. Mann Festival Theatre. Tuesday, June 24 @ 10:00pm – Majestic Crest Theatre.
- JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (USA, 2007, Family Day Screenings). Sunday, June 29 @ 3:00pm – Mann Village Theatre.
- LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (Sweden, 2007, Dark Wave). Friday June 20 @ 10:30pm – AMC Avco Center. Saturday, June 21 @ 10:00pm – The Landmark.
- THE LOST BOYS (USA, 1987, Anniversary Screening). Tuesday, Juen 24 @ 10:00pm – Mann Festival Theatre.
- PINATAS REVENGE (USA, 2007, Short Film Competition). Sunday, June 22 @ 9:45pm – The Regent. Thursday, June 25 @ 10:00pm – The Landmark.
- PLANET OF THE APES (USA, 1968, Anniversary Screening). – Saturday, June 21 @ 8:30pm
- TERMINUS (Canada, 2007, Shorts Program 4). Saturday, June 21 @ 4:30pm – Majestic Crest Theatre. Friday, June 27 @ 4:30pm – Majestic Crest Theatre.
- X-CROSS (Japan, 2007, Dark Wave). Friday, June 20 @ midnight – Majestic Crest Theatre. Wednesday, June 25 @ 7:30pm – The Landmark.
- A Conversation with Guillermo Del Toro. Thursday, June 26 @ 7:00pm. Majestic Crest Theatre. Free
- Kodak Focus: Gullermo Navarro. Saturday, June 28 @ 1:30pm. The Landark. Free
- Spaced: Invasion USA – A Conversation with Edgar Wright. Tuesday, June 24 @ 7:00pm.
- X-FILES Sneak Peak. David Duchovny, Chris Carter, and Frank Spotnitz will show clips from the upcoming feature film sequel. Sunday, June 22 @ 7:00pm.