The 2009 edition of Japan Film Festival - Los Angeles launches today with several titles, including the most recent horror film from Kiyoshi Kurosawa (PULSE) and the Los Angeles premiere of THE SKY CRAWLERS, the new anime opus from Mamoru Oshii (GHOST IN THE SHELL). Both films screen at 8:00pm in the Laemmle Monica 4-plex, 1332 2nd Street, Santa Monica 90401. RETRIBUTION begins at 5:30pm; SKY CRAWLERS begins at 8:00pm.
In RETRIBUTION, "Detective Yoshioka is investigating a mysterious murder case. However, clues begin to appear that point to him being the murder. As the investigation progresses, even he begins to wonder whether he may be the murderer that he is pursuing." There will be additional screenings of the film:
- Monday, April 13 at 9:45pm in the Monica 4-Plex
- Saturday, April 18 at 7:45pm in the Downtown Independent Theatre.
SKY CRAWLERSinvolves “Kildren” - ageless fighter pilots, living in adolescence until they die in battle, who were created to fight in an endless war to “entertain” the peacetime people. Tonight will be the festival's only screening of the film.
The film festival is not specifically geared to science fiction, fantasy, and horror, but there are a few other titles of interest to fans:
- Mushi-shi(directed by AKIR'A's Katsuhiro Otomo)- Los Angeles Premiere on April 11 at 4:00pm. Click here for details.
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone(based on the popular anime franchise) - Premiere on April 11 at 7:00pm. Click here for details.
- 252: Signal of Life(an epic disaster film) - U.S. Premiere on April 12 at 8:30pm in Lammle's Monica 4-Plex. Click here for details. [NOTE: Also screens April 19 at 3:00pm in the Downtown Independent Theatre and on April 26 at 5:00pm in the Starplex Cinema in Irvine.]
All films will be shown in Japanese with English subtitles.