This month we're all busy visiting as many Halloween Haunts as we can, and we all know you can stream your favorite movies at home, but there's something magical about seeing horror movies in a theatre with a screaming audience. Though home video has nearly killed the repertory theatre business, October offers a cornucopia of Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings, including classic, cult, and contemporary titles - everything from golden oldies like Mad Love (1935) to modern terrors like Get Out and IT (2017).
Most of these horror films are part of month-long series put on by specific venues or organizations. Some are random titles squeezed into otherwise scare-free programming. The locations are fairly widely spread around Los Angeles, so with a little luck you should be able to find a few of your favorites on screen somewhere near you.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: The American Cinematheque
Though the American Cinematheque is not presenting a "Halloween" festival per se, it is screening numerous horror films throughout October as part of other series, beginning with Beyond Fest, which runs through October 8. After that, there will be "Tuesdays with Peter Lorre," which includes The Beast with Five Fingers, Arsenic and Old Lace, and Mad Love. Other titles include Horror of Dracula and Let The Right One In. The Aero Theatre presents its annual All Night Horrorthon on Saturday, October 26.
Below is the complete listing of horror titles. Screenings are at the Egyptian Theatre except where noted.
- October 3: The Exoricst - 7:30pm
- October 4: Portals - 8pm; The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue - 10:30pm
- October 5: The Evil Dead - 4pm; VFW & Bliss - 7:30pm
- October 6: Halloween III, Night of the Creeps, The Fog - 11am; In Search of Darkness - 6pm
- October 7: Are You Afraid of the Dark - 7:30pm; Mary - 8pm (in the Spielberg room of the Egyptian Theatre); The Gate - 10:30pm
- October 15: The Beast with Five Fingers - 1pm
- October 22: Arsenic and Old Lace - 1pm at the Aero Theatre
- October 25: Horror of Dracula & The Time Machine - 7:30pm
- October 26: All Night Horrorthon - 7pm at the Aero Theatre
- October 29: Mad Love - 1pm at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica
- October 30: Let The Right One In - 7:30pm at the Aero Theatre
- October 31: To Be Announced
The Egyptian Theatre is at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood. The Aero Theatre is 1328 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica. Get more information here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Cinespia
Cinespia celebrates Halloween with two horror titles this month. Both screenings takes place in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, starting at 7pm (gates open at 5:15pm). Lawn chairs and blankets are advisable.
- October 19: The Sixth Sense 20th Anniversary. M. Night Shyamalan will attend this screening to tell the behind-the-scenes story of how the film came to be. There will be a picnic with beer and wine as Cinespia's resident DJ spins tunes.
- October 27: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Hollywood Forever Cemetery is at 6000 Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles. Get more information here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: El Capitan Theatre
Disney's El Capitan Theatre offers a mostly light-hearted take on the Halloween season, featuring two previously released Disney productions in anticipation of their latest offering.
- September 26-October 7: Hocus Pocus
- October 10-13: Coco
- October 17 - November 17: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (Opening Night is a "special event with "fun and surprises")
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Fright Nights - The Science Behind Scary Movies
Los Angeles County Natural History Museum launches of Fright Nights: The Science Behind Scary Movies with a screening of Dracula (1931) on October 11. The after-hours event includes access to the the museum's Natural History of Horror Exhibition, a performance by Captured Aural Phantasy Theater, and introductory remarks dissecting "how scientific discoveries have stirred fear and inspired creativity in people, both past and present." Light snacks and a cash bar are available.
Later installments of Fright Nights will take place after the Halloween season has ended: The Creature From The Black Lagoon on February 14, 2010; Frankenstein (1931) on March 26, 2020; and The Mummy (1932) on the exhibition's final day, April 10, 2020.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Heritage Square Museum
This Halloween's Heritage Square Movie Night features a screening of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) on October 20. The event includes food trucks, cash bar (beer and wine), and tours of the museum's historic buildings. The screening is presented in association with Street Food Cinema, whose schedule is listed further down this page.
Heritage Square Museum is located at 3800 Homer Street near Montecito Heights. Learn more at the museum's website.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: My Valley Pass
My Valley Pass (which bills itself as the San Fernando Valley's #1 Visitors Guide) offers a handful of Halloween horror screenings as part of two different series: San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In and Movies on Location. The former takes place at the Lake Balboa Complex in Lake Balboa; the latter takes place at the Langham, Huntington in Pasadena.
San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In:
These "double bills" require separate admission for each film. Events start at 7pm and run till 11:30pm
- October 11: Ghostbusters (1984) & Friday the 13th (1980).
- October 12: The Addams Family (1990) & The Exorcist (1973)
Movies on Location:
This new series screens classic films at "actual filming locations or at settings that go hand-in-hand" with the films. Clearly the latter is the case here, since The Shining was not filmed in Pasadena.
- October 12: The Shining (1980), starting at 8pm.
The address of Lake Balboa Complex is located at 6335 Woodley Avenue. The address of Langham Huntington, Pasadena is 1401 S Oak Knoll Avenue. FInd ticket information here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: The New Beverly Cinema
The New Beverly Cinema is mixing horror and exploitation titles in with its usual repertory programming. The Halloween horror screenings are 2pm matinees unless otherwise noted.
- October 6: The Monster Squad
- October 7: Deadly Friend
- October 9: The Haunting (1962)
- October 11: Hello Mary Lou - Prom Night II
- October 12 & 13: Cartoon Club (Halloween Edition) at 10am; Mad Monster Party
- October 14: Scream
- October 16: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
- October 18: Hellraiser III - Hell on Earth; From Dusk Till Dawn (11:59pm)
- October 19: Blackbeard's Ghost; All-Night Horror Show (7:30pm - SOLD OUT!)
- October 20: Blackbeard's Ghost
- October 21: The People Under the Stairs
- October 23: Eyes Without A Face
- October 25: Halloween H20; Grindhouse (11:59pm)
- October 26 & 27: Abbott and Costell Meet Frankenstein
- October 27: The Fearless Vampire Killers (9:05pm - middle of a Sharon Tate triple bill)
- October 28: A Nightmare on Elm Street; followed by a Joan Crawford triple bill of Straight-Jacket (7:30pm), Berserk (9:35pm), and Trog (11:30pm)
- October 29: The Boogens (7:30pm), Slithis (9:35pm), The Deadly Spawn (11:20pm)
- October 30: The Innocents; followed by a triple bill of Return of the Living Dead (7:30pm - SOLD OUT!), A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (9:30PM) and Uninvited (11:15pm)
- October 31: a triple bill of Uninvited (noon), A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (2pm), and The Return of the Living Dead (3:50pm); followed by Kwaidan (7:30pm).
New Beverly is at 7165 Beverly Boulevard in the Fairfax District. Their website is here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: The Nuart Theatre
As part of its weekly Friday-night Cine Insomnia series, Landmark's Nuart Theatre will present midnight screenings of a few cult and horror titles this Halloween season.
- October 11: Halloween (1978)
- October 18: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
- October 25-26: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (featuring live shadow cast, The Sins of the Flesh)
The Nuart Theatre is at 11272 Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles. Get more information here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Old Town Music Hall
Every Halloween, Old Town Music Hall turns into Old Town Music Haunt, offering classic horror movies preceded by live music played on the venue's Mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ, an audience sing-along,
and a comedy short. Shows take place on weekends, with start times at 8:15pm on Fridays, at 2:30pm and 8:15pm on Saturdays, and at 2:30pm on Sundays.
- October 5-6: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
- October 11-12: Dracula (1931)
- October 12-13: Frankenstein (1931)
- October 18-19: The Mummy (1932)
- October 19-20: The Invisible Man (1933)
- October 25-26: The Wolf Man (1941)
- October 26: The Phantom of the Opera (1943) - one show only at 8:15pm
Old Town Music Hall is located at 140 Richmond Street in El Segundo. Get ticket info here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Rooftop Cinema Club
Rooftop Cinema Club Los Angeles screens movies at Neuehouse Hollywood and Level Downtown. The October schedule for both venues is loaded with Halloween horror screenings. All films start at 8pm unless noted.
- October 9: Halloween (1978)
- October 10: Midsommar
- October 11: Hocus Pocus (7pm); Aladdin (9:45pm)
- October 12: The Blair Witch Project (7pm)
- October 19: Halloweentown (7pm)
- October 25: Beetlejuice (7pm); Practical Magic (9:45pm)
- October 26: Hocus Pocus (7pm); The Exorcist (9:45pm)
- October 27: The Return of the Living Dead
- October 29: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
- October 30: King Kong (1933)
- October 31: Halloween (1978)
- October 9: Midsommar
- October 10: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- October 11: The Lost Boys (7pm); Candyman (9:45pm)
- October 12: The Craft (7pm); Practical Magic (9:45pm)
- October 13: The Devil's Backbone
- October 16: Hocus Pocus
- October 17: John Carpenter Screening - title to be selected during a live recording of the Screen Drafts Podcast before the film (7:30pm)
- October 18: Beetlejuice (7pm); Death Becomes Her (9:45pm)
- October 19: The Blob (1958, 7pm); Village of the Damned (1960, 9:45pm)
- October 20: Fright Night (1985)
- October 23: Halloweentown
- October 24: Hocus Pocus
- October 25: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984, 7pm); A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (9:45pm)
- October 26: Tales From the Hood (9:45pm)
- October 27: The Blair Witch Project
- October 30: Carnival of Souls
- October 31: Halloween (1978)
Level Downtown screenings are on the fourth floor of 888 South Olive Street in downtown Los Angeles. Neuehouse Hollywood Screenings are on the third floor of 6121 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. Get more information here.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Rooftop Screams
Rooftop Screams is the annual Halloween Horror Film festival on the rooftop of the The Montalbán. Films are presented on a large, high-quality digital projection screen, with noise-cancelling headphones for the audio. Drinks, burgers, and popcorn are available. Doors open at 6pm. Films start at 8:15pm. Prices are $18 for single seats, $50 for a love seat for two.
- October 6: The Addams Family with a tribute from the Sinister String Quartet at 7:30pm
- October 9: The Evil Dead (2013), with Q&A with Dana DeLorenzo
- October 10: Carrie (1976)
- October 11: 28 Days Later
- October 12: Scream
- October 13: Friday the 13th (1980)
- October 16: The Lost Boys
- October 17: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
- October 18: American Psycho
- October 19: Interview with the Vampire
- October 20: Shaun of the Dead
- October 23: Let The Right One In
- October 24: Hocus Pocus
- October 25: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
- October 26: The Mummy (1999) with a tribute from the Sinister String Quartet at 7:30pm
- October 27: Ghostbusters (1984)
- October 29: Death Becomes Her
- October 30: Beetlejuice
- October 31: Get Out
- November 1: Coco
Screenings take place on the rooftop at 1615 Vine Street. Get more information at the website.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Screamfest Horror Festival
The annual Screamfest Horror Film Festival runs from October 8 through 17 at TCL Chinese 6 Theatres. Programming includes premieres of short subjects and independent feature films, such as Immortal with Tony Todd (Candyman) and the Soska Sisters' remake of David Cronenberg's Rabid.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Secret Movie Club
Programming movies throughout the year, the Secret Movie Club turns toward the horror genre every Halloween, offering an eclectic selection of old and new titles projected in 35mm, with an emphasis on the work of John Carpenter. Screenings are at midnight in the Vista Theatre unless otherwise noted.
- October 11: John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)
- October 12: Rosembary's Baby
- October 13: The Cat People (1942) & I Walked with a Zombie
- October 18: The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
- October 19: What We Do In The Shadows
- October 20: 16mm screenings of classic Twilight Zone episodes (10am)
- October 22: 16mm screening of Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse (Regent Theatre, 8pm)
- October 25: John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
- October 26: Frankenstein (1931) & Bride of Frankenstein (1935) (9:45am)
- October 26: The Witch
- October 31: A Nightmare on Elm Street & A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (8:15pm)
- November 1: John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness
- November 2: Luis Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel (10:30am)
The Vista Theatre's address is 4473 Sunset Drive in Hollyood. The Regent is located at 448 S Main Street in downtown Los Angeles. For more information, visit the Secret Movie Club's Facebook page.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Street Food Cinema's Phantasmagoria
Street Food Cinema offers a plethora of horror, science fiction, and fantasy films, screened in a variety of venues. The screenings at the Million Dollar Theatre are part of a special Halloween event called Cinema Phantasmagoria, which bills itself as "an immersive haunted theater experience" involving "a mysterious 1920's movie palace where time stands still." These screenings include musicians, spooky ushers, and an undead Master of Ceremonies. horror film. Guest can enjoy cocktails before the movie and take a backstage Ghost Tour into the depths of the Million Dollar Theatre.
- October 5 : Guardians of the Galaxy (Victory Park, Pasadena)
- October 5 : Ghostbusters (La Quinta Park, La Quinta)
- October 11 : Halloween (1978) (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 12: Beetlejuice (Will Rogers State Historic Park, Pacific Palisades)
- October 12 : Hocus Pocus (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 13 : A Nightmare on Elm Street (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 18 : Saw (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 14 : Ghostbusters (Westdrift Gold Course, Manhattan Beach)
- October 19 : Bram Stoker's Dracula (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 20 : Psycho (Heritage Square Museum, Los Angeles - listed separately under Heritage Square Museum)
- October 20 : The Thing (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 25 : Shaun of the Dead (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 26 : Beetlejuice (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 27: The Conjuring (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 30 : Sleepy Hollow (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
- October 31 : It (Million Dollar Theater, Downtown)
The Million Dollar Theatre is at 307 S Broadway in downtown Los Angeles. For other theatre locations, visit Street Food Cinema's website.
Los Angeles Halloween Horror Screenings 2019: Walt Disney Concert Hall
For its annual, "Halloween Organ & Film" presentation, Walt Disney Concert Hall screens The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) with live musical accompaniment on the venue's organ. The event takes place on Halloween Night, starting at 8pm. The address is 111 South Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. Learn more here.