Title: STRIPPED TO KILL and POISON IVY
Location: Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Link out: Click here
Description: As part of its Mistresses of Horror, series, the 3rd Annual Cinefamily Halloween Horror Film Fest presents a double bill of films directed by Katt Shea: STRIPPED TO KILL and POISON IVY. From the website:
Katt Shea, in a story that sounds like it could belong to one of the sexy but tough heroines in her films, rolled into Hollywood when she was only ninteen years old. After brief stints modelling stints and studying at UCLA, she began to work in the Corman exploitation factory/film school as an actress, but boldly cornered Roger with an idea so good that she ended up writing, and then directing it, for him. Since then, she’s crafted a career in which her “trash” has been treasured in retrospectives at classy joints like MoMA and the British Film Institute. Tonight we’ll be privileged to have Katt her in our midst to screen that smartly sleazy debut that started it all, Stripped To Kill, as well as her Sundance breakout, the film that re-introduced the world to a very now-grown-up Drew Barrymore — Poison Ivy. Stripped To Kill serves up the tale of a tomboyish cop forced to go undercover as a nudie dancer in order to catch a killer. Way-out strip routines bordering on performance art and tasty kills alternate with an insightful look at the reality of the exotic dancer’s lives. Poison Ivy stands out from the pack of ‘90’s “home invasion” thrillers to show us a sociopath who exposes the darkness at the heart of a well-to-do suburban family. Gifting us with not only an indelible and pants-wettingly (for all genders) seductive performance from Barrymore, but also stellar work from Roseanne’s Sarah Gilbert as the haplesssly overpowered victim, and Tom Skeritt and Cheryl Ladd as her parents, Poison Ivy dances a fine line of ambiguity that’ll keep you on the edge of your seat. Katt Shea will be here to answer your questions in a Q&A session between the films!
Stripped To Kill Dir. Katt Shea, 1987, 35mm, 88 min.
Poison Ivy Dir. Katt Shea, 1992, 35mm, 90 min.
Date: 2010-10-24 at 8pm
More in this series:
- Carrie & Christine
- 13 Ghosts
- Dollar Babies Mini-Film Fest
- Pet Sematary I & II with Mary Lambert in person
- Cinefamily's 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Film Fest
- Cartoon Monster Mash!
- Dario Argento Double Bill
- Mutant Girls Squad & Alien vs. Ninja
- Pajama Party II: Bitch-Craft
- American Psycho with in-person guests
- Herschell Gordon Lewis Tribute
- Umberto Lenzi Triple Bill
- House of the Devil & Dead/Alive, with Ti West in person
- Straight-Jacket & Homicidal
- Chester Turner Tribute
- A Night to Dismember & Don't Panic
- Demon Lover Diary
- Giallo Sneak Preview Triple Bill
- Cinefamily's 100 Most Outrageous Kills!
- Cinefamily Heavy Metal Halloween Party & Fundraiser
- Mistress of Horror: Katt Shea
- The Blob (1988)
- Ken Russell Double Bill of Terror
- Sergio Martino Double Feature
- William Castle Shockers with Terry Castle in person