Montalban Rooftop Halloween Horror Movies
During the month of October, the Rooftop Movies series at the The Montalbán in Hollywood will be composed entirely of Horror, Fantasy, and Science Fiction films. Programming will include classic of yesteryear (The Bride of Frankenstein), cult films (The House of the Dead), foreign language films (Let the Right One In), Oscar winners (Pan’s Labyrinth), popular favorites (Scream), graphic gore (Friday the 13th), and art house stylings (Don’t Look Now). In short, there will be something for everyone.
Two screenings will feature question-and-answer sessions with guests. Scott Mantz, Robert Meyer Burnett, and others will discuss Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn on Friday, October 5. Re-Animator will screen inside the Montalban Theatre on October 19, with the Hollywood Chamber Orchestra and a Q&A with producer Brian Yuzna, composer Richard Band, and actors Bruce Abbott, Barbara Crampton, and Jeffrey Combs (the latter via video).
Director Ti West will discuss his film The House of the Devil on Friday October 26.
The double bill of Hellraiser and Hellraiser II will be an all-day event with collectibles, merchandise, and costumes for sale inside the theatre from such vendors as Dapper Cadaver. Composer Christopher Young will give a live interview and introduce Hellraiser II. The Atlantic String Ensemble will perform on stage during a fan art slide show. Hellraiser will screen at 2:30pm inside the theatre; the event will conclude with Hellraiser II screening at 8pm on the rooftop.
Note: The complete schedule has been updated twice since originally posting:
- The Fly (1988) – October 2
- The Bad Seed – October 3
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (with guests) – October 5
- The Cabin in the Woods – October 9
- A Nightmare on Elm Street – October 10
- The Shining (in place of Room 237) – October 11
- Friday the 13th (1980) – October 12 at 8pm
Don’t Look Now – October 12 at 10:30pm(NO LONGER LISTED)
- Mandy (2018) (in place of The Shining) – October 13
- Hellraiser (in theatre) & Hellraiser II (on rooftop) – October 14, noon to 10pm
- The Bride of Frankenstein – October 16
- The Purge – October 18
- Bel Canot (instead of Scream) – October 19
- Re-Animator – October 19 (inside the theatre) with the Hollywood Chamber Orchestra and special guests.
- Pan’s Labyrinth – October 20 at 8pm
- The Shape of Water – October 20 at 10:30pm
- Let the Right One In – October 23
- Don’t Breathe – October 24
- Hush – October 25
- The House of the Devil – October 26
- Beetlejuice – October 27
- Witches of Eastwick – October 30
- Hocus Pocus – October 31
Unless otherwise noted, movies are screened on the rooftop of the Montalban, starting at 8pm. Doors open at 6pm so that visitors have a couple of hours enjoy tasty Umami Burgers and a variety of libations at the bar.
Headphones provide great stereo sound while blocking out traffic noise; overall, the digital projection system provides solid picture quality (as we discussed in our review of The Birds here).
Prices are $18 for a single ticket, $50 for a love seat for two (Including unlimited popcorn).
The Montalban Theatre is located at 1615 Vine Street, Los Angeles, CA 90028. Get more information at the official website.