The New Beverly Cinema will be presenting a bloody stream of Halloween horror on the big screen during the month of October, with titles ranging from classics to spoofs to exploitation. In the evenings there will be double-bills; on Fridays and Saturdays, there will be midnight movies; on Saturdays and Sundays there will be kiddie matinees. Titles include The Exorcist, Alien, The Brood, Day of the Dead, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.
Our top pick, however, is the double bill of Black Sunday and Castle of Blood, two black-and-white Italian horror films from the 1960s, both starring Barbara Steele. The former, directed and photographed by Mario Bava, is a certified classic of the genre, but more important still is the opportunity to see director Antonio Margheriti’s Castle of Blood on the silver screen. The atmospheric chiller (about a journalist who takes a wager to spend a night in a haunted castle, where he encounters the living dead) has seldom if ever played a revival house screening in Los Angeles during my lifetime, so this is an opportunity not to be missed. The films screen on October 11 and 12, Sunday and Monday, at 7:30pm and 9:25pm respectively, both days.
All films will be shown in 35mm prints (except where 16mm is used, as noted)
The New Beverly Cinema is located at 7165 Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles. Call (323) 938-4038 for more information, or visit the official website.
So far, the New Beverly’s calendar is up-to-date only through October 15. You can find all the currently listed screenings in our Events calendar.
More in this series:
- The Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2
- Alien & Horror Planet
- They Came From Within & The Brood
- Haunted Honeymoon & Nothing But Trouble
- Black Sunday & Castle of Blood
- Mother's Day & Don't Go Into the House
- Day of the Dead & The Crazies
- New Beverly: From Dusk Till Dawn Marathon
- The Exorcist
- Invaders from Mars
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
- What Have You Done to Solange? & What Have They Done to Your Daughters?
- New Beverly Halloween Horror Screenings 2015
- New Beverly's Annual All-Night Horror Show
- New Beverly announces From Dusk to Dawn Marathon and All-Night Horror Show
- Watching Black Sunday & Castle of Blood at the New Beverly