Hollywood Gothique hereby declares that the Ouija Board is the official emblem of Halloween 2019. We know this decision may not be without controversy; after all, Ouija Boards are not limited to use during October, so how can they be emblematic of Halloween?
The answer is that they have earned the honor by showing up with remarkable consistency in the promotional materials for this year's Los Angeles Halloween events - particularly, immersive theatre and interactive experiences. Give Up the Ghost, The Shadow Space, The Séance, and House of Spirits: A Haunted Cocktail Soirée - all feature the iconic image of the Ouija Board.
Is this truly emblematic of anything? We think so. This Halloween has been notable for the number of events offering more intimate interaction between audience and apparition; in some cases, the audience even is the apparition. The Ouija Board, which requires close contact between the participant and the planchette, fingers literally resting on the object as it is moved by unseen spirits, perfectly sums up this intimate, interactive aspect of Halloween 2019.
More in this series:
- The Séance: Interactive Theatre from Cross Roads Escape Games
- The Shadow Space Interview: The Audience Becomes the Haunters
- Give Up the Ghost Interview: Turning the Tables on Traditional Haunts
- Bite: Dining with the Undead (Interview)
- Review: The Séance
- Review: Give Up the Ghost - Halloween 2019's Must-See Experience
- The Count's Den: Bite (Halloween Theatre Review)
- Delusion Master Jon Braver's Alt Delete: Review & Interview
- House Of Spirits: A Haunted Cocktail Soirée (Review)
- House of Spirits: Immersing Guests in a Halloween Sandbox
- Review: The Shadow Space
- Halloween Magnum Opus on the way
- Immersive Theatre: The Future of Halloween in Los Angeles?