Location: Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Link out: Click here
Date: October 10 at 8pm (RESCHEDULED FROM OCTOBER 3)
Description: A double bill of PET SEMATARY films, directed by Mary Lambert. In the ‘80s Stephen King became a legitimate brand name, and as a result, movie screens were hit with a deluge of King adaptations, most of which were middling to poor. It seemed at the time, that the only successful King adaptations and would have to be seriously retooled to fit the directors' visions (the way auteurs Kubrick and De Palma had in the 70s). But then came Mary Lambert's Pet Sematary in 1989. Lambert, a talented young director then making music videos for Madonna and Janet Jackson, showed you could adapt King's material straightforwardly, and still make a genuinely spooky film. Lambert manages to mine genuine scares and dread from an admittedly goofy but simple premise: a burial ground outside of a small-town pet cemetery has the power to resurrect whatever or whoever is buried in it -- but like in all good versions of "The Monkey's Paw," there's a catch. Lambert shows particular skill at taking King’s creepiest characters and incarnating them in flesh: the late great Fred Gwynne’s take on “Jud Crandall”, the nightmare-inducing invalid shut-in “Zelda” (in a daring cross-gender casting coup, played by Andrew Hubatsek), and the skin-crawling presence of murderous baby revenant “Gage Creed.” You'll also tap your toes to the kick-ass titular Ramones song that closes the end credits. Mary Lambert will be here for a Q&A after the film -- and stick around for Pet Sematary Two after the intermission!
- Pet Sematary Dir. Mary Lambert, 1989, 35mm, 103 min.
- Pet Sematary Two Dir. Mary Lambert, 1992, 35mm, 100 min.
More in this series:
- Carrie & Christine
- 13 Ghosts
- Dollar Babies Mini-Film Fest
- Pet Sematary I & II with Mary Lambert in person
- Cinefamily's 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Film Fest
- Cartoon Monster Mash!
- Dario Argento Double Bill
- Mutant Girls Squad & Alien vs. Ninja
- Pajama Party II: Bitch-Craft
- American Psycho with in-person guests
- Herschell Gordon Lewis Tribute
- Umberto Lenzi Triple Bill
- House of the Devil & Dead/Alive, with Ti West in person
- Straight-Jacket & Homicidal
- Chester Turner Tribute
- A Night to Dismember & Don't Panic
- Demon Lover Diary
- Giallo Sneak Preview Triple Bill
- Cinefamily's 100 Most Outrageous Kills!
- Cinefamily Heavy Metal Halloween Party & Fundraiser
- Mistress of Horror: Katt Shea
- The Blob (1988)
- Ken Russell Double Bill of Terror
- Sergio Martino Double Feature
- William Castle Shockers with Terry Castle in person