Location: The Aero Theatre, 1328 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403
Description: As part of its series of 2012 Halloween Horror events, the American Cinematheque presents this double bill of psycho horror from Alfred Hitchcock and Brian DePalma. Hitchcock’s PSYCHO, based on the Robert Bloch novel, is justifiably regarded as one of the watershed moments in the horror genre and continues to stand the test of time better than the ill-conceived ’90s remake. DePalma’s DRESSED TO KILL, though sometimes dismissed as a mere PSYCHO rip-off, is actually a melange of influences, including BELL DU JOUR, that more closely resembles the steamy Italian giallo thrillers from the ’70s.
Date: 2012 – October 20 at 7:30pm
Link out: Click here
FROM THE CINEMATHEQUE WEBSITE:
PSYCHO. 1960, Universal, 109 min, USA, Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Coming off the comparatively big budget NORTH BY NORTHWEST, director Alfred Hitchcock decided he wanted to make a nice little, low-budget black-and-white film for a change of pace. This was the result, and the shock waves are still reverberating. Lovely embezzler Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) takes refuge from a rainstorm off the beaten track on a lonely California highway. Unfortunately, she checks in at the Bates Motel, presided over by young Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), a strange fellow living with his mother in a nearby mansion. Hitchcock used the small crew from his popular TV show for this hair-raising example of California Gothic, and it remains one of the most influential chillers ever made. With Vera Miles and John Gavin.
DRESSED TO KILL. 1980, MGM/Park Circus, 105 min, USA, Dir: Brian De Palma. In this obsessive and beautifully made thriller, a killer stalks two very different women. Considered by many to be Brian De Palma’s finest film. With Michael Caine, Angie Dickinson, Nancy Allen and Dennis Franz.
More in this series:
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: The Selling with guests in person
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Ghostusters in 70mm
- 2012 Halloween Screening: The Creature from the Black Lagoon in Digital 3-D
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Ghosts and Other Silent Shorts
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings at the American Cinematheque
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Cat People (1942) and I Walked With A Zombie (1943)
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: The Nickle Ride (1974) and The Other (1972)
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Mummy Movie Marathon at Cinematheque
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Psycho (1960) & Dressed to Kill (1980)
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: 7th Annual Dusk-to-Dawn Horrorthon
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Nosferatu at Cinematheque
- 2012 Halloween Horror Screenings: Dracula (1931) & Horror of Dracula (1958)