All these decades later, 1978's SUPERMAN remains the best feature film about the Man of Steel, thanks in large part to Christopher Reeves dual performance at Clark Kent and Superman. The screenplay jumps around between the epic and the comic, but it remains fun throughout, and even if director Richard Donner keeps his tongue firmly in cheek he never undercuts the title character. Margot Kidder is a great Lois Lane, and Gene Hackman is memorably amusing as Lex Luthor.
This free screening of SUPERMAN is presented in conjunction with: ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938–1950.
More in this series:
- Zap! Pow! Bam! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books at Skirball
- Comic Book Heroes of Film and Television
- Batman (1943) flapping into Skirball Center
- Superman Rarities to screen at Skirball Center
- Supergirl flying to Skirball Center
- Superman (1978) returns - at Skirball Center
- Batman (1966) at Skirball
- Supergirl (1984) - Trailer
- Superman at Skirball