Location: The Silent Movie Theater, 611 N. Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Link out: Click here
Description: The Cinefamily presents a series of films by Jan Svankmajer, who first earned attention for his stop-motion short subjects before branching out into live-action and features. Surreal and disturbing, Svankmajer’s work is not for everybody – it’s closer to Luis Bunuel than to Ray Harryhausen.
- LITTLE OTIK – Septmber 6 at 7:30pm
- DARKNESS LIGHT DARKNESS (short subjects) – September 8 at 4pm
- CONSPIRATORS OF PLEASURE – September 13 at 7:30pm
- FAUST – September 15 at 5pm
- LUNACY – September 20 at 7:30pm
- ALICE – September 22 at 5pm
- SURVIVING LIFE – September 27 at 7:30pm
From the website:
Sensei to the Brothers Quay, championed as a hero by Terry Gilliam and hailed by Milos Forman as “Disney + Buñuel” — Jan Svankmajer is perhaps our greatest living surrealist master. Firmly established as world cinema’s go-to guru for the grotesque and perverse, his feature films (such as Alice, Little Otik, Lunacy and Conspirators of Pleasure) have introduced countless arthouse audiences to a singular, slanted world of European decay — a delectably skewed stew that twists the familiar (body parts, food, household objects) to reveal the carnal absurdities of the everyday human condition. We celebrate this amazing artist with a full retrospective of all his features to date, plus a program of his head-spinning short films!
More in this series:
- FAUST by Jan Svankmajer
- The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer