Location: The Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Date: December 7 at 8pm
Description: The latest feature film from Sylvain Chomet, director of the fantastic The Triplettes of Bellville, is a sumptuous tour-de-force of classic 2-D hand-drawn animation! Based on an unproduced original script by Jaqcues Tati, Sylvain tells the story, sans dialogue, of an aging magician (drawn in Tati’s image) and a teenage girl, their father/daughter relationship and how the power of illusions can bond kindred souls. The film pushes the boundaries of modern independent feature animation, going for real emotions and sharp storytelling that Hollywood studios no longer consider relevant to mainstream audience. Fans of both Chomet and Tati -- or simply those who enjoy classic character animation -- cannot afford to miss this. Animation historian Jerry Beck will introduce the film, and will present a bonus screening of “magical” animated shorts that will enhance the themes expressed in Chomet’s newest masterpiece.
Dir. Sylvain Chomet, 2010, 35mm, 90 min.
More in this series:
- The Adventures Of Mark Twain, w/ Will Vinton in person
- LAAF Awards Show, plus Fantastic Planet
- The 2nd Los Angeles Animation Festival International
- Surviving Life (Theory And Practice) - U.S. Premiere
- Redline - U.S. Premiere
- Midori-Ko - U.S. Premiere
- The Making Of "Day & Night" with Director Teddy Newton In Person
- In The Attic - L.A. Premiere
- Piercing 1 - L.A. Premiere
- The Illusionist - sneak preview