Title: HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and THE TINGLER
Location: Silent Movie Theatre, 611 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Link out: Click here
Description: As part of its William Castle Shockers series, the 3rd Annual Cinefamily Halloween Horror Film Fest concludes with this double bill of William Castle films, with the late producer-director’s daughter Terry Castle in attendance. From the website:
House On Haunted Hill – 6:00pm
Halloween is the best night of the year to spend a night in a good, old-fashioned haunted house, and this All Hallows’ Eve, Vincent Price invites five strangers and 185 members of the Cinefamily to spend the night in House on Haunted Hill. This is the house that no kid has ever dared to enter. So far the ghosts have murdered only seven people — won’t you come and make it eight? While we can’t promise you $10,000 for surviving the night, we can offer a great time and a chance to see one of Castle’s greatest innovative screen processes, “Emergo!”, live and in person! William Castle’s daughter, Terry Castle, will be here in person to introduce the films, and talk about her father’s career in the fright business!
Dir. William Castle, 1959, 35mm, 75 min.
The Tingler – 7:30pm
Our month-long celebration of William Castle concludes with the spine-tingling horror of The Tingler, Castle’s weirdo masterpiece of gimmickry about a lobster-shaped monster that feeds on terror within the human body! Aside from being the first film to use LSD as a plot device, the original theatrical run was presented in “Percepto,” whereby theater patrons were administered buzzer shocks in their seats, to simulate the monster’s attack. The result, of course, was giddy insanity, as star Vincent Price’s voice urges patrons to “scream for your lives!” Best of all, The Tingler features a major subplot based on the Silent Movie Theatre itself and its original owners, the Hamptons. Feel a tingle up your spine as you watch these scenes set in the very location where you are sitting — and maybe a tingle on your tuchas when we shock you Castle-style with real wired seats!
Dir. William Castle, 1958, 35mm, 82 min.
Date: 2010-10-31 at 6pm
More in this series:
- Carrie & Christine
- 13 Ghosts
- Dollar Babies Mini-Film Fest
- Pet Sematary I & II with Mary Lambert in person
- Cinefamily's 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Film Fest
- Cartoon Monster Mash!
- Dario Argento Double Bill
- Mutant Girls Squad & Alien vs. Ninja
- Pajama Party II: Bitch-Craft
- American Psycho with in-person guests
- Herschell Gordon Lewis Tribute
- Umberto Lenzi Triple Bill
- House of the Devil & Dead/Alive, with Ti West in person
- Straight-Jacket & Homicidal
- Chester Turner Tribute
- A Night to Dismember & Don't Panic
- Demon Lover Diary
- Giallo Sneak Preview Triple Bill
- Cinefamily's 100 Most Outrageous Kills!
- Cinefamily Heavy Metal Halloween Party & Fundraiser
- Mistress of Horror: Katt Shea
- The Blob (1988)
- Ken Russell Double Bill of Terror
- Sergio Martino Double Feature
- William Castle Shockers with Terry Castle in person