On May 30 and 31, the American Cinematheque will be screening a quartet of classic Universal horror movies, and you could win a free pair of tickets to see them. Come see Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolf Man and various sundry and sordid mad scientists and hunch-backed assistants – all in glorious black-and-white! Thrill to the chill of sparking laboratory equipment, shadowy corridors, fog-bound forests, and fiery destruction! Not only will these classic movie monsters be marching across the screen, there will also be special in-person guests!
Celebrating the Return of Famous Monsters of Filmland – the original monster movie magazine – the Cinematheque will present two double bills that weekend:
- SATURDAY, MAY 30 at 7:30pm: Son of Frankenstein (1939) and Ghost of Frankenstein (1942). Son of Frankenstein will be introduced by Sara Karloff, whose father Boris plays the monster in the film. Ghost of Frankenstein will be introduced by actress Janet Ann Gallow. SON – in which Basil Rathbone stars as Wolf Frankenstein, resuming his father’s experiements – is one of the last great horror films from Universal Pictures, which began rehashing its successful formula in the 1940s; it marks Boris Karloff’s last performance as the Monster, a role he made famous, and it is also distinguished by a fine performance by Bela Lugosi as the vengeful grave-robber Ygor.
- SUNDAY, MAY 31 at at 7:30pm: Dracula (1931) and House of Dracula (1945). Dracula will be introduced by Carla Laemmle (daughter of studio head Carl), who has a brief role at the beginning of the film; Bela Lugosi Jr., son of the actor who plays the Count, is also supposed to be on hand. House of Dracula will be introduced by actress Jane Adams, who plays the hunch-backed nurse who falls under the spell of the vampire (John Carradine) in the film.
Hollywood Gothique is giving away TWO PAIRS OF TICKETS, one for each double bill. If you would like to enter the contest for a chance to win, here is what to do:
- Send an email to STEVE@hollywoodgothique.com with “Classic Horror Contest” in the subject line. Include your name and phone number so we can contact you.
- List your preference for which double bill you would prefer to attend.
- List the the names of as many of the actors who played the titles roles in the films as you can; you don’t need to know them all, but you will probably need two or three to win. (HINT: We have given away some of the answers in this post.)
RULES: We want the literal title character from each film (that is the “son” of Frankenstein, not the monster) except for HOUSE OF DRACULA, for which we want the actor who plays “Dracula” (not the “House”). Correct answer for DRACULA counts for one point; correct answer for HOUSE OF DRACULA counts two points; correct answer for SON OF FRANKENSTEIN counts three points; correct answer for GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN counts four points. Contestant with the most points will receive two tickets to his preferred double bill; contestant with second most points will receive tickets to whichever double bill is left.
Location: Egyptian Theatre – 6712 Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood (323) 466-FILM
Link out: Click here