Month-Long Halloween Film Fest
Comfortably decked out for the Halloween season, the New Beverly Cinema offers daily screenings of classic, cult, and exploitation titles throughout October. The selection is eclectic, ranging from acknowledged classics to low-budget (but enjoyable) trash. There is also an Annual Horror Show (sometimes called the All-Night Horror Show, depending on start time), which is a twelve-hour marathon including six rare feature films, trailers, cartoons and short subjects; titles are kept secret.
The New Beverly evokes a ’70s vibe; the venue is almost as much a museum as it is a theatre. Its presentation is a throwback to an era when films were projected on film: the theatre screens 35mm prints in great condition. Sometimes they are newly struck; sometimes they are archival prints such as IB Technicolor – a process whose colors do not fade over time.
Note: Some years, the theatre’s usual repertory schedule continues during evenings while the Halloween Horror Movie Screenings take place as afternoon matinees or midnight movies.
7165 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles (Fairfax District), CA 90036
- October 1: Clash of the Titans at 2pm, The Last Picture Show at 7:30pm, Return of the Living Dead at midnight (Saturday only)
- October 2: Clash of the Titans at 2pm, The Last Picture Show at 7:30pm,
- October 3: Island of Lost Souls & Murders in the Rue Morgue at 7:30pm
- October 4-5: Twisted Nerve & Daddy’s Gone A-Hunting at 7:30pm
- October 6-7: Princesess Mononoke (subtitled) at 7:30pm
- October 7: The Devil’s Advocate at 2pm, Death Proof at midnight
- October 8: Cartoon Club at 10am, The Garbage pail Kids Movies at 2pm, Howie Pyro Rock n Roll Monster Mash at 7pm, Body Double at midnight
- October 9: The Garbage Pail Kids Movie at 2pm, Death Game & Knock Knock (new 35mm print) at 6:30pm
- October 10: Love to Kill & The Eternal Evil of Asia at 7:30pm
- October 11-12: Scream & Scooby-Doo at 7:30pm
- October 13: The Wicker Man (1973, IB Technicolor Print) at 7:30pm
- October 14: Seven (rare silver retention print) at 2pm, The Wicker Man (1973, IB Technicolor Print) at 7:30pm, Death Proof at midnight
- October 15: Annual Horror Show (sold out) at 2pm.
- October 16: Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit at 2pm, Piranha (new 35mm print) at 6:30pm
- October 17-18: Twilight & Queen of the Damned
- October 19-20: Dressed to Kill & The Eyes of Laura Mars
- October 21: Basic Instinct at 2pm, Vertigo (IB Technicolor print) at 7:30pm, Death Proof at midnight
- October 22: Mad Monster Party at 2pm, Vertigo (IB Technicolor print) at 7:30pm, Re-Animator at midnight
- October 23: Mad Monster Party at 2pm, Vertigo (IB Technicolor print) at 6:30pm
- October 24: Dracula: Dead & Loving It & Repossessed at 7:30pm
- October 25-26: Picnic at Hanging Rock at 7:30pm
- October 27: Alice, Sweet Alice & Happy Birthday to Me at 7:30pm
- October 28: Breakdown at 2pm, Alice, Sweet Alice & Happy Birthday to Me at 7:30pm, Death Proof at midnight
- October 29: Beetlejuice at 2pm, Taste the Blood of Dracula & Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed at 6:30pm, The Exorcist at midnight
- October 20: Beetlejuice at 2pm, Taste the Blood of Dracula & Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed at 6:30pm
- October 31: I Walked with a Zombie, The Leopard Man & The Ghost Ship – triple bill starting at 7:30pm
The New Beverly’s annual Fright-a-Thon takes place on October 15 at 2pm (sold out, sadly). The rest of October is filled with horror titles, including midnight movies and matinee screenings.
New Beverly Archive
Read updates and archived articles about programming at the New Beverly Theatre